What are the benefits of Virtual Colonoscopy?
- This new minimally invasive test provides three-dimensional images that can depict many polyps and other lesions as clearly as when they are directly seen by optical colonoscopy.
- Virtual Colonoscopy has a markedly lower risk of perforating the colon than conventional colonoscopy. Most of those examined do not have polyps, and can be spared having to undergo a full colonoscopy.
- It is an excellent alternative for patients who have clinical factors that increase the risk of complications from colonoscopy, such as treatment with a blood thinner or a severe breathing problem.
- Elderly patients, especially those who are frail or ill, will tolerate virtual colonoscopy better than conventional colonoscopy.
- Virtual Colonoscopy can be helpful when colonoscopy cannot be completed because the bowel is narrowed or obstructed for any reason, such as by a large tumor.
- If conventional colonoscopy cannot reach the full length of the colon - which occurs up to 10 percent of the time - virtual colonoscopy can be performed on the same day because the colon has already been cleansed.
- Virtual Colonoscopy provides clearer and more detailed images than does a conventional barium enema x-ray examination.
- Virtual colonoscopy is well tolerated. Sedation and pain relievers are not needed, so there is no recovery period.
- Virtual colonoscopy is less costly than colonoscopy.
- No radiation remains in a patient's body after examination.
- X-rays used in the scans usually have no side effects.
Other Helpful Information
Peninsula Imaging, LLC
Address:1655 Woodbrooke Drive, Suite 101, Salisbury Maryland, 21804
Phone: 410-749-1123 / Toll Free: 1-866-725-1061